Population Science Shared Resource
The UNC Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center is one of 70 National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Centers
The Connected Health Applications & Interventions (CHAI) shared resource is a NIH-funded shared resource. CHAI has been supporting researchers since 2000. This has resulted in extensive institutional knowledge and experience with research along the cancer continuum, from prevention to treatment through survivorship.
The purpose, goals, and objectives of the CHAI shared resource are to offer state-of-the-art resources and techniques for the development of high-quality and rigorously-evaluated behavioral science interventions aimed at health promotion and disease prevention in populations at risk.
Some of our collaborations have included focus groups with tobacco users, online symptom tracking for bone marrow transplant patients, user-testing with patients with prostate cancer and their caregivers, wearables tracking and tailored feedback for endometrial cancer survivors.
in grant-funded projects for over
outside of UNC,
for example, NIH,
University of Connecticut,
Duke University, Wake
- Brenner, A. T., Malo, T. L., Margolis, M., Lafata, J. E., James, S., Vu, M. B., & Reuland, D. S. (2018). Evaluating shared decision making for lung cancer screening. JAMA Internal Medicine, 178(10), 1311-1316.
- Noar, S. M., Rohde, J. A., Horvitz, C., Lazard, A. J., Ross, J. C., & Sutfin, E. L. (2018). Adolescents' receptivity to e-cigarette harms messages delivered using text messaging. Addictive Behaviors.
- Ranney, L. M., Jarman, K. L., Baker, H. M., Vu, M., Noar, S. M., & Goldstein, A. O. (2018). Factors influencing trust in agencies that disseminate tobacco prevention information. The Journal of Primary Prevention, 39(2), 99-116.
- Rohde, J. A., Noar, S. M., Horvitz, C., Lazard, A. J., Ross, J. C., & Sutfin, E. L. (2018). The role of knowledge and risk beliefs in adolescent e-cigarette use: a pilot study. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 15(4).
- Reuland, D. S., Brenner, A. T., Hoffman, R., McWilliams, A., Rhyne, R. L., Getrich, C., ... & de Hernandez, B. U. (2017). Effect of combined patient decision aid and patient navigation vs usual care for colorectal cancer screening in a vulnerable patient population: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA Internal Medicine, 177(7), 967-974.
- Ribisl, K. M., Fernandez, M. E., Friedman, D. B., Hannon, P. A., Leeman, J , Moore, A., Olson, L., Ory, M., Risendal, B., Sheble, L., Taylor, V. M., Williams, R. S., & Weiner, B. J. (2017). Impact of the cancer prevention and control research network: accelerating the translation of research into practice. American Journal of Preventive Medicine 52(3S3), S233-S40. 08-CPC-X3
- Stover, A. M., Teal, R., Vu, M., Carda-Auten, J., Jansen, J., Chung, A. E., & Basch, E. M. (2017). Stakeholder perceptions of facilitators and barriers for pro-based performance measures in five us healthcare systems. Poster presented at the International Society for Quality of Life Research conference, Philadelphia, PA, USA 18-21 October, 2017. (abstract)
- Stover, A. M., Teal, R., Vu, M., Carda-Auten, J., Jansen, J., Chung, A. E., & Basch, E. M. (2017). Stakeholder perceptions of facilitators and barriers for implementing symptom questionnaires into point-of-care for chemotherapy in five U.S. healthcare systems. Poster presented at the Science of Dissemination and Implementation conference, Washington, D.C., October, 2017. (abstract)
- Weiner, B. J., Rohweder, C. L., Scott, J. E., Teal, R., Slade, A., Deal, A. M., ... & Wolf, M. (2017). using practice facilitation to increase rates of colorectal cancer screening in community health centers, North Carolina, 2012-2013: feasibility, facilitators, and barriers. Preventing Chronic Disease, 14, E66-E66.
- Comello, M. L., Qian, X., Deal, A. M., Ribisl, K. M., Linnan, L. A., & Tate, D. F. (2016). Impact of game-inspired infographics on user engagement and information processing in an eHealth program. Journal of Medical Internet Research, 18(9), e237. PubMed PMID: 27658469; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5054233.
- Cornacchione, J., Wagoner, K. G., Wiseman, K. D., Kelley, D., Noar, S. M., Smith, M. H., & Sutfin, E. L. (2016). Adolescent and young adult perceptions of hookah and little cigars/cigarillos: implications for risk messages. Journal of Health Communication, 21(7), 818-825.
- Moracco, K. E., Morgan, J. C., Mendel, J., Teal, R., Noar, S. M., Ribisl, K. M., ... & Brewer, N. T. (2016). “My First Thought was Croutons”: Perceptions of cigarettes and cigarette smoke constituents among adult smokers and nonsmokers. Nicotine & Tobacco Research, 18(7), 1566-1574.
- Wagoner, K. G., Cornacchione, J., Wiseman, K. D., Teal, R., Moracco, K. E., & Sutfin, E. L. (2016). E-cigarettes, hookah pens and vapes: adolescent and young adult perceptions of electronic nicotine delivery systems. Nicotine & Tobacco Research, 18(10), 2006-2012.
- Williams, R. S., Stollings, J. H., Bundy, L., Haardorfer, R., Kreuter, M. W., Mullen, P. D., Hovell, M., Morris, M., & Kegler, M. C. (2016). A minimal intervention to promote smoke-free homes among 2-1-1 callers: North Carolina randomized effectiveness trial. PloS One 11(11), e0165086. PMCID: PMC5091897. 08-CPC
- Wiseman, K. D., Cornacchione, J., Wagoner, K. G., Noar, S. M., Moracco, K. E., Teal, R., ... & Sutfin, E. L. (2016). Adolescents’ and young adults’ knowledge and beliefs about constituents in novel tobacco products. Nicotine & Tobacco Research, 18(7), 1581-1587
- Cameron, L. D., Pepper, J. K., & Brewer, N. T. (2015). Responses of young adults to graphic warning labels for cigarette packages. Tobacco control, 24(e1), e14-e22.
- Song, L., Rini, C., Deal, A. M., Nielsen, M. E., Chang, H., Kinneer, P., ... & Palmer, M. H. (2015). Improving couples' quality of life through a web-based prostate cancer education intervention. Oncology Nursing Forum 42(2).
- Chariyeva, Z., Golin, C. E., Earp, J. A., Maman, S., Suchindran, C., & Zimmer, C. (2013). The role of self-efficacy and motivation to explain the effect of motivational interviewing time on changes in risky sexual behavior among people living with HIV: a mediation analysis. AIDS and Behavior, 17(2), 813-23. PMID: 22228069
- Germino, B. B., Mishel, M. H., Crandell, J., Porter, L., Blyler, D., Jenerette, C., & Gil, K. M. (2013). Outcomes of an uncertainty management intervention in younger African American and Caucasian breast cancer survivors. Oncology Nursing Forum, 40(1), 82-92. PMID: 23269773
- Macintosh, B. A., Ramsden, C. E., Faurot, K. R., Zamora, D., Mangan, M., Hibbeln, J. R., & Mann, J. D. (2013). Low-n-6 and low-n-6 plus high-n-3 diets for use in clinical research. British Journal of Nutrition, 110(3), 559-568. PMID: 23328113
- Piernas, C., Tate, D. F., Wang, X., & Popkin, B. M. (2013). Does diet-beverage intake affect dietary consumption patterns? Results from the Choose Healthy Options Consciously Everyday (CHOICE) randomized clinical trial. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 97(3), 604-11. PMID: 23364015
- Turner-McGrievy, G., Kalyanaraman, S., & Campbell, M. K. (2013). Delivering health information via podcast or web: Media effects on psychosocial and physiological responses. Health Communication, 28(2), 101-9. PMID: 22420785
- Valle, C. G., Tate, D. F., Mayer, D. K., Allicock, M., & Cai, J. (2013). A randomized trial of a Facebook-based physical activity intervention for young adult cancer survivors. Journal of Cancer Survivorship, 7(3), 355-368. PMID: 23532799
- Yopp, J. M. & Rosenstein, D. L. (2013). A support group for fathers whose partners died from cancer. Clin J Oncol Nurs, 17(2): 169-173.
- Rini, C., Williams, D. A., Broderick, J. E., & Keefe, F. J. (2012). Meeting them where they are: Using the Internet to deliver behavioral medicine interventions for pain. Translational Behavioral Medicine, 2(1), 82-92. PMID: 22924084
- Satia, J. A., Barlow, J., Armstrong-Brown, J., & Watters, J. L. (2010). A qualitative study to explore Prospect theory and message framing and diet and cancer prevention-related issues among African American adolescents. Cancer Nursing, 33(2), 102.
- Satia, J. A., Walsh, J. F., & Pruthi, R. S. (2009). Health behavior changes in white and African American prostate cancer survivors. Cancer Nursing, 32(2), 107-17.
- Sheridan, S. L., Behrend, L., Vu, M. B., Meier, A., Griffith, J. M., & Pignone, M. P. (2009). Individuals' responses to global CHD risk: a focus group study. Patient Education and Counseling, 76(2), 233-9.
- Tate, D. F., Finkelstein, E. A., Khavjou, O., & Gustafson, A. (2009). Cost effectiveness of internet interventions: review and recommendations. Annals of Behavioral Medicine, 38(1), 40-45.
- Griffith, J. M., Lewis, C. L., Brenner, A. R., & Pignone, M. P. (2008). The effect of offering different numbers of colorectal cancer screening test options in a decision aid: a pilot randomized trial. BMC Medical Informatics and Decision Making, 8(4).
- Finkelstein, E. A., Linnan, L. A., Tate, D. F., & Birken, B. E. (2007). A pilot study testing the effect of different levels of financial incentives on weight loss among overweight employees. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 49, 981-9. PMID: 17848854
- Linnan, L. A., Ferguson, Y. O., Wasilewski, Y., Lee, A. M., Yang, J., Solomon, F., & Katz, M. (2005). Using community-based participatory research methods to reach women with health messages: results from the North Carolina BEAUTY and Health Pilot Project. Health Promotion Practice, 6(2), 164-173. DOI: 10.1177/1524839903259497
- Kim, J., Whitney, A., Hayter, S., Lewis, C., Campbell, M., Sutherland, L., Fowler, B., Googe, S., McCoy, R., & Pignone, M. (2005). Development and initial testing of a computer-based patient decision aid to promote colorectal cancer screening for primary care practice. BMC Medical Informatics and Decision Making, 5(36).
- Solomon, F., Linnan, L., Wasilewski, Y., Lee, A.M., Katz, M & Yang, J. (2004). Observational study in ten beauty salons: Using formative research results to inform development of the North Carolina BEAUTY and Health Project. Health Education and Behavior, 31(6), 790-807. DOI: 10.1177/1090198104264176
- Pignone, M. P., Harris, R., & Kinsinger, L. (2000). Videotape-based patient decision aid for colon cancer screening - a randomized trial. Annals of Internal Medicine 133(10), 761-769.